Juan Avilés Collection
Scope and Contents
The Juan Avilés collection is arranged by subject and includes newspaper articles, certificates, correspondence, poems, a copy of Avilés’ book, personal writings, flyers, publications, photographs and pocket diaries.
- Creation: 1955-1989
- Avilés, Juan (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is held by Centro.
Biographical / Historical
Juan Avilés was a Puerto Rican poet who arrived in New York in 1926. For thirty years, he was editor and director of publicity for Hispanoamerica, an important New York film company. Interested in the Hispanic population and culture, he also presided over organizations such as El Círculo de Escritores y Poetas Iberoamericanos (CEPI), which he co-founded, El Instituto de Puerto Rico, la Sociedad Puertorriqueña de Escritores (New York Chapter), and was president of La Fiesta de San Juan Bautista. He was also named Commissioner of the Commission for Human Rights of New York from 1955-1966.
1.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Juan Avilés was a poet from Puerto Rico who was the editor and director of publicity for the Hispanoamerica film company and Commissioner of the Commission for Human Rights of New York He also held leadership positions in several Hispanic writers organizations. This collection includes newspaper articles, certificates, correspondence, poems, a copy of Aviles’ book, personal writings, flyers, publications, photographs and pocket diaries.
The collection is arranged in folders topically.
Other Finding Aids
English / Spanish bilingual finding aid is available upon request.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Juan Avilés.
- Ramírez de Arellano, Diana (Person)
- Círculo de Escritores y Poetas Iberoamericanos de Nueva York (Organization)
- Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña (Organization)
- Instituto de Puerto Rico (New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
- Juan Avilés Collection
- Archive staff members under the supervision of Pedro Juan Hernandez.
- February 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 31, 2021: Guide revised by Pedro Juan Hernandez.
- June 4, 2021: Folder titles revised with more detailed description by Victoria Fernandez. Collection consolidated into two boxes (documents/photographs and pocket diaries). Series arrangement removed.