East Harlem Council for Community Improvement Inc. Records
This small collection offers insight into the work of community leaders in East Harlem. Founded in 1979 by residents and community leaders in El Barrio, the East Harlem Council for Community Improvement focused on delivering a broad range of human services to the residents of Manhattan’s Community Planning Board #11. It later expanded its reach and provided services in communities in the South Bronx, Lower East Side, and Central and West Harlem. It consists primarily of news articles, brochures, and newsletters. The collection also contains the by-laws of the Massive Economic Neighborhood Development (MEND) Anti-Poverty program in the 1960s and photographs of its programs.
- Creation: 1965-1997
- East Harlem Council for Community Improvement Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by CENTRO.
0.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- East Harlem (New York, N.Y.) -- Social conditions
- Lower East Side (New York, N.Y.) -- Social conditions
- South Bronx (New York, N.Y.) -- Social conditions
- East Harlem Council for Community Improvement Inc. Records
- Madonna Hernandez, Archive staff members under the supervision of Pedro Juan Hernandez
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2022: Revised by Susan M. Kline.