Carlos Laster Collection
Scope and Contents
The Carlos Laster collection consists of artifacts donated by the artist and craft maker to Centro. Among them are Perez and Martina puppets based on the Pura Belpre story, a piece on the Three Kings, made from bottles and papier mâché on a wooden base, as well as a piece called Vejigante, also made from papier mâché on a wooden base. Included in the Centro Art Collection are 2 pieces by Laster. One is a digital print entitled “The New Millenium,” featuring surreal imagery of a man on a cross with a Coca-Cola symbol on it, and the other is a poster entitled “Haciendo Patria,” which features Puerto Rican Nationalist Leader Pedro Albizu Campos.
- Laster, Carlos (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the artist.
Biographical / Historical
Carlos Laster is an artist and craft maker from Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. He is also a graduate of both Hostos Community College and Parsons School of Design. He has previously served as an artist-in-residence at Taller Boricua in New York City. Laster works with many mediums including digital artwork, papier-mâché, and puppet-making. His artwork is representative of his Puerto Rican heritage and combines nature with every-day items to create unique pieces.
1.0 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The Carlos Laster Collection includes a selection of orginal artworks and artifacts donated to Centro. The pieces include papier-mâché sculptures, digital prints, and a poster.
Other Finding Aids
English / Spanish bilingual finding aid available upon request.
- Artifacts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hispanic American arts -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marionettes -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Multicultural art Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Multimedia Artists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Carlos Laster Collection
- Archive staff members under the supervision of Pedro Juan Hernandez
- August 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2021: Container list updated by Victoria Fernandez.
Part of the Archives of the Puerto Rican Diaspora Repository
Silberman Building, Hunter College
2180 Third Ave. Rm. 122
New York New York 10065